Monday, June 30, 2008

Chef Bruno

Bruno Greca da Cunha. I was avoiding this topic, once that "making fun of Canadians" is the primary target here, but sometimes we just can't run away from it.

A nice young fellow. B.A. in Archivology, Cerrado's breed, aways cool, "numa buenassa". He's my roommate at The Gnome's House. We split the rent, the food and the house duties. A really easy going guy and it's nice to share a roof with him. His great passion is to cook. A Chef able to take control of any 5-star quitchen in the world.

And that's where my life get's easy. I've been living a Pasha's life. Any gourmet would dir from envy. I already told him: "Bruno, forget this archivology thing, get out of Canada and fly to France to seek a Cordon Bleu scholarship. You're waisting your time here, man!" But he doesn't listen to me...

I'll guard all the secrets of La Cucina di Greca he trusted me on, but it's not fare to the rest of the world that I am the only one blessed with this pleasure. So, I'm going to share two of his famous recipes with you, your lucky readers:

1 - Uovo di Greca: In a pan with only 3 or 4 drops of Canola oil, frie an egg more than you usually do. Wait until it gets a lightly blackish color and wait for the smoke take care of the room, until the smoke alarm starts to ring. Season with salt and serve with fries. Atention: the smoke alarm is crucial for the final result.

2 - Rissoto alla Greca: Heat oil in a medium sauce pan, sauté onion and garlic. Add rice and stir. Add some boiling water and reduce heat to medium low. At this point, despite your usual knowledge, stir the rice. Another trick: don't wait until the rice gets dry, take the pan with that "rice soup" and do like you would do with a boiling pan of cooked Spaguetti. (Note: I'm missing a verb here. To take out the water using a specific device to do so... The water goes and the rice stays... Help!). Add with sliced carrots, letuce and tomatoes. Serve with sweet-beans¹ and add hetchup to taste.
---
¹ The sweet-beans: I don't know about you, but that sound strange to me. Beans in Brasil are not a sweet dish, they're salty. When we went to buy groceries for the first time here, we saw this can of Beans with Pork and thought: hum... semi-feijoada, great. But who the hell puts brown suggar in the beans?! Now we don't buy anything without check the ingridients...

No comments: